Whenever you visit your dentist, there are certain things that you should be telling them. This is important to help with personalized treatment and to ensure that your oral healthcare is well taken care of. Here are five important things to mention:
- If Your Gums Bleed When Brushing: When brushing your teeth, your gums shouldn't bleed. However, if they do, it can be an early sign that you are suffering from gum disease. Your dentist must know about this so that they can perform gum disease tests and early treatment that can easily get rid of the problem quickly before it becomes progressively worse.
- If You Have Tooth Pain in Any Areas: If you have tooth pain, even if it is minor and comes and goes, your dentist should know about it. This tooth pain can be a sign of a broken filling, a cracked tooth or even exposed nerves. Your dentist will want to do a thorough check of the area to be sure that these problems are corrected.
- If You Have Sores That Won't Heal: Mouth sores are something that many people can experience either because of stress or something that you have eaten. These sores heal quickly. However, if you have a sore that has been around for a while and will not heal, your dentist must know about it. This can be a sign that you have oral cancer. Luckily, it is an early sign, meaning that your dentist will be able to treat it early enough to hopefully get rid of it before it spreads.
- If You Have Problems Brushing: Many people, especially people who have arthritis or other health problems that involve their hands may have trouble brushing their teeth. If this is the case for you, you will want to talk to your dentist about other options you have to help ensure that you are getting the regular dental care that you need on a daily basis. Your dentist may prescribe a special type of toothbrush or mouthwash that can help based on your specific needs.
- If You Grind Your Teeth: It's difficult to know if you grind your teeth because most of the time this is something that becomes a habit in your sleep. However, if your partner points it out or someone who has spent any nights with you, then you must tell your dentist about it. Your dentist can provide you with a special mouthguard that will help to prevent you from grinding. This is important because grinding your teeth can cause serious damage to the protective layer of enamel on your teeth.
By knowing some of the things that you must tell your dentist, you can be sure that you are well prepared for your appointments and won't forget to mention anything that is important and worth mentioning.